WHY use anything other than an XML backend?

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Wed Apr 20 03:29:04 EDT 2011

On woensdag 20 april 2011, Zhang Weiwu, Beijing wrote:
> On 04/20/2011 04:13 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > Another advantage of the sql backend is that it saves instantly, so you
> > have less risk of data loss (except for the issues with online banking
> > John mentioned).
>
> It's an advantage? I found myself wanting to not to save 10 times more
> than wanted to save but didn't. If using SQL, do I still have the chance
> to use my favorable 'not to save' feature?

Yes, that's an advantage. GnuCash is an accounting program. An in accounting
it is generally a habit to correct mistakes not by starting over, but by
adding reversing transactions. That way work history is preserved. As such its
very useful to save immediatly as it prevents accidental data loss. It doesn't
free you from making good backups regularly though.

From my point of view your statement of not wanting to save is surprising, but
I suppose everyone has their own particular computing habits.

With the SQL backend you don't have the option to not save. Changes are stored
in the database immediatly. That is the way databases work. So you probably
best stick with the xml backend for now.

Geert