WHY use anything other than an XML backend?

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Wed Apr 20 11:41:17 EDT 2011

Actually, robust databases do not store immediately, the first thing they do
is write to a journal that is separate from the database.  The journal
allows recovery in the event the data store becomes corrupted.  Running on a
personal computer, there a lots of ways corruption might occur (power
outages, etc.)

Also, while it is true to say that good accounting procedure does not allow
for changing ~committed~ transactions, it is (IMO) wrong-headed to take this
discipline so literally as to design software to suck data straight from the
keystroke into the committed state.   Doing so would degrade the usability
of the software enormously.  Say, for example, you inadvertently enter a
transaction into a cash account rather than the credit card account where it
really belonged (I enter my credit card transactions manually.)  It would
make no sense to treat this sort of error so legalistically from an
accounting standpoint that it required reversing entries to correct it.