WHY use anything other than an XML backend?

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Wed Apr 20 10:58:41 EDT 2011

It seems to me the advantages of using a DBMS lie in the ability to handle a
huge data store efficiently, to access the data using standard tools, and
the potential for evolving GnuCash in a multi-user direction.  But there is
much to be said for the benefits of an in-memory data store.  Instant saving
is not an unqualified advantage.  It would be interesting to know how
frequently users resort to the close-without-saving feature using XML.  If I
am at all typical, that is a 'feature', not a weakness.

There is little significance in what the backend might be unless the data
design is normalized and referential integrity is enforced.  Just stuffing
the current data design into a DBMS really only solves the data volume
problem.  I do think that it is unrealistic to expect the data store to grow
ad infiinitum, regardless of where the data are stashed.  A purge/archive
function of some sort is still very much needed.  This is something
Microsoft Money did remarkably well.  It could remove transactions older
than a specified date, while preserving those older transactions (and their
possibly closed accounts) that connected in some way to on-going information
requirements such as investments and mortgages.