"No suitable backend was found for file:.....

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Apr 21 05:54:26 EDT 2011

On donderdag 21 april 2011, Brett Sutherland wrote:
> I had tried out Gnucash and for some reason got distracted. I did spend a
> good amount of time setting up tax codes and really don't want to start all
> over.
>
> So, my machine crash. Rebuilt with Win 7. I installed Gnucash. I went to
> open the previous file(s) and only get the error "No suitable backend was
> found for file". The files are in "Book" and either have no extension, or a
> .xac. I get the same error no matter what I try to load.

I sure hope you don't mean you have stored your file in
c:\Users\<your username>\.gnucash\books
If that is the case, your data is lost:
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Why_can.27t_GnuCash_find_my_data_file_anymore.3F__It_just_says:_parser_error_:_Start_tag_expected.2C_.27.3C.27_not_found

Otherwise, can you provide the full pathname for your data file ?
And what version of GnuCash are you using ?

Geert