"No suitable backend was found for file:.....

Brett Sutherland brett8181 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 20:02:25 EDT 2011

I had tried out Gnucash and for some reason got distracted. I did spend a
good amount of time setting up tax codes and really don't want to start all
over.

So, my machine crash. Rebuilt with Win 7. I installed Gnucash. I went to
open the previous file(s) and only get the error "No suitable backend was
found for file". The files are in "Book" and either have no extension, or a
.xac. I get the same error no matter what I try to load.

I am thinking maybe the version changed. It is also possible that I tried it
in a linux VM. Dunno. I have searched and not found a solution. Any pointers
are appreciated. Thanks.