Reports, probably again

Gregory rollenwiese at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 8 21:59:19 EDT 2011

"..is it possible to connect a decent sql report generator to the
backend and produce acceptable business reports?  If so, and you could
provide a few tips for newbies to get us up and running, it would be
very much appreciated."

I have a setup where I use JasperReports to output PDF/HTML reports from
a gnucash mySQL backend db (linux).

It was not a small undertaking to get there. If the reports are to be
written in pure sql, the accounts table has to be slightly modified
using a pre-ordered tree traversal algorythm.

Once you do this it's easier to write a few stored procedures (and
supporting functions for those sp's) that output a table of data to be
used by Jasper Reports.

I run a small java jar app that outputs a single PDF/HTML whatever I
want of all my reports. JS does output nice looking reports.

A down side to my method is the accounts table has to be refreshed if i
ever make changes to it through the application.

Then of course you have to create the jrxml Jasper templates using iReport.

So not for the faint of heart maybe, but possible

-Greg