New to GnuCash

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Aug 10 16:30:59 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, August 10, 2011 3:43 pm, Robert Carroll wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am setting up GnuCash for the first time on my Ubuntu small business
> network.  So each work station is based on the Ubuntu OS, there are 3 in
> total.  I want to use MySQL which is on my Ubuntu server to manage the
> data
> and each work station to access that data.  I am not finding a best
> practice
> guide on how to set up something like this through my google searches, can
> someone point me in the right direction.  What I would like to know is do
> need a .sql that will setup the tables and then connect to the sql server
> from each WS?  Do i install GnuCash on each WS and then setup a connection
> to the SQL db from there If so where do I setup that connection and is
> there
> any suggestions for setting up that connection?  Each WS is on the same
> lan.

Just so you don't get your hopes up too quickly --- GnuCash is NOT a
multi-user application.  While you can have different people accessing the
dataset, they may not do so simultaneously.  When one person has it open
it will lock out the other users.

Having said that, all you need to do is File -> Save As to save to MySQL.
The database must exist, but GnuCash will generate all the tables for you.
 On the secondary machines all you need to do is File -> Open and again
configure the database URI.

Good Luck,

> Thank you in advance.
>
> Robert

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745