Re: Re : Budget Intermediate totals

Oliver Kiddle okiddle at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 11 11:47:28 EDT 2011

On 7 Aug, Phil Longstaff wrote:
> I've attached the budget and my config.user file from windows.  The

That's really useful, thanks. The middle columns include the current
month, right? It's good that you can select the current period because
it makes it easy to, for example, check both the August and July reports.

One issue is that values of EUR 0.00 in the Diff column are being
printed in red for a non-expense account. This also affects the builtin
budget reports.

Perhaps I shouldn't do this but I included a budget figure for income
accounts and for some accounts like savings, mortgage and pension
accounts. The idea being to balance my income with all outgoings
(new savings are not an expense but still have to be balanced against
my income). With my old spreadsheet, I had a sum on the columns which
should ideally come to zero. Does anyone else do this? Are there any
things I should watch out for or should I do this all another way? It
seems to sort of work apart from not getting a total for the whole budget
column. I also had to split my mortgage account into two subaccounts,
one for the 2011 budget (including repayment transactions) and one for
a separate house purchase budget. Is it common to use subaccounts of a
real bank account as a way of dividing the money into buckets?

Thanks

Oliver