Quicken 2005 User Looking To Move To GnuCash - Have some questions

Dennis Powless claven123 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 18:34:17 EDT 2011

Yes, you can.  Gc doesn't use categories as quicken, but some thing like
out. So yes, you can doo splits just like quicken.

You can export the data or import easily, it will be some work to convert it
over. But once you commit and do it you will love gc.

Can't comment on the directories,

you can import from some banks, others not so much.  You can do ofx/qfx I
believe....

Dennis
On Aug 11, 2011 5:31 PM, "rt1001" <member5555 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have been using the Quicken 2005 version for keeping track of my
personal
> finances for a number of years.
>
> I am now looking to "move on" and am considering GnuCash.  I had tried
> GnuCash, briefly, several years ago but did not switch.
>
> My questions are:
> 1. How easily can I transfer my existing Quicken 2005 data to GnuCash (and
> how completely)?  For instance, does GnuCash support split credit card
> transactions (one purchase going to 2 or more categories)?
>
> 2. Whan I tried GnuCash previously (under Windows XP), it created a bunch
of
> directories for the data in very non-standard locations.  Can the location
> of the data be controlled by the user?  Does it still use multiple
> directories?
>
> 3. As for downloading transactions from my bank and credit card, can
GnuCash