Quicken 2005 User Looking To Move To GnuCash - Have some questions

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Fri Aug 12 02:11:54 EDT 2011

On 11/08/11 11:44, rt1001 wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have been using the Quicken 2005 version for keeping track of my personal
> finances for a number of years.
>
> I am now looking to "move on" and am considering GnuCash.  I had tried
> GnuCash, briefly, several years ago but did not switch.
>
> My questions are:
> 1. How easily can I transfer my existing Quicken 2005 data to GnuCash (and
> how completely)?  For instance, does GnuCash support split credit card
> transactions (one purchase going to 2 or more categories)?

I'm in a similar situation (but transferring from Quicken 2005 for Mac).
I'm not sure whether there are any significant differences between the
Mac and Windows version of Q2005.

I'm in the process of doing the transfer, using the Quicken Export>Full
Export to create a QIF. I think it will take a bit of time to do right,
mainly because GnuCash is a bit more pernickety about tracking your
money (double entry accounting rather than essentially a set of
loosely-coordinated cash books).

However, I was able to successfully transfer all the data in my savings
and credit card accounts, and in my share registers. Unfortunately, my
Scheduled Transactions didn't transfer, but there are only 30 or so of
them, so it won't be too tedious to transfer them. I don't use splits on
my credit cards much, so I haven't checked them, but splits did work on
my ATM withdrawals.

I still need to check exactly what happened in the export/import process
to some of the items in my Quicken Investments portfolio. We have some
separately owned shares in some of the same companies, and they're
entered as separate items in the Quicken Investments Portfolio, and it
looks as though the export/import has merged hem into one holding. I'm
not certain that it has, but if it has, it'll be a bit annoying, because
there are capital gains tax implications in the separate ownership of
the shares.

I don't use any of the other features of Quicken (Planning, Property and
Loans, Services). I do use the Home Inventory that was packaged with
Quicken 2005 for Mac, and I have been able to extract the inventory data
fro that and import it into Binary Formations LLC's Home Inventory, but
all of that is Mac specific. I'm happy to help any Mac Quicken 2005
users extract their Home Inventory data, though.

It'll be interesting to hear how you go.

Anyway, probably the best way to answer your questions is to set up
GnuCash and give it a go, including doing a test import of your Quicken
data.

Regards,
Peter