Quicken 2005 User Looking To Move To GnuCash - Have some questions

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Mon Aug 15 11:51:45 EDT 2011

On Aug 15, 2011, at 10:46 AM, David T. wrote:

> I believe that this information is transferred. To see the transaction-level memo field, select View->Double Line.

Does the Quicken note go into the transaction memo field or the split description field?  The OP seems to be saying that it goes into the split description field.  This was certainly the case several years ago when I converted from Quicken and I don't think it's changed since then.  I've been gradually over the last few years copying the notes from the description to the memo.

It would probably be a trivial change to make the Quicken notes go to the memo instead of the splits.  If people think this makes sense I could make this change.  Making it an option would be somewhat harder, but still possible.  However, I'm not sure it really needs to be an option.  The memo field seems to make more sense.  If I remember correctly the note goes into the description of each split in the transaction.  Putting it in the transaction memo seems more logical since in Quicken it isn't associated with any split.

               Mike