Quicken Files

Russell Mercer rmercer206 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 18:17:34 EDT 2011

Guy,

I switched from Quicken a couple of years ago.  Quicken files are not
natively stored in a .QIF file.  That is an interchange format.  I don't
remember offhand, where it is located, but there is an export command.  I
think it is under the file menu.  This will let you export your transactions
to a .QIF file which can then be imported to GnuCash.

I recommend reviewing the GnuCash documentation, help files, concepts guide,
etc.  There are some significant formatting differences between GnuCash and
Quicken, that can trip you up when moving your data over.  These are not
deal-breakers, but are simply a consequence of GnuCash more strictly
following the double-entry accounting rules.  The way to avoid problems is
to make sure that you have consistent categories assigned in Quicken prior
to the transfer, and that each transaction has a category assigned.  I think
I put in probably a week of cleanup on my quicken file after my initial
attempt to transfer.  The first try showed me the errors that needed to be
corrected.

Hope this helps.

Russell