Chart of accounts

James Wilde james.wilde at sunde-wilde.com
Fri Aug 26 17:37:26 EDT 2011

On Aug 26, 2011, at 23:24 , David Carlson wrote:

>> <big snip>

> If the goal is a complete list of accounts with no data, how about
> exporting the list first, opening the empty data file and creating an
> Account Summary Report on the empty file?  There would still be zero
> amounts, but they could then be more easily filtered out.

I've seen this suggestion twice.  Excuse me, but doesn't it strike anybody that this is a very clumsy workaround for something that should be a click on a menu choice?  You give a chart of accounts to every newcomer to the accounting department so they will quickly learn about the structure of the accounting system.  You give it to every person who has to allocate expenses when (s)he approves invoices for payment.  But you don't necessarily want any of these people to see the balances on the accounts, so the account report is not an alternative.

//James