Chart of accounts

Lincoln A Baxter lab at lincolnbaxter.com
Fri Aug 26 18:54:32 EDT 2011

Hey James,...

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 23:37 +0200, James Wilde wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2011, at 23:24 , David Carlson wrote:
>
> >> <big snip>
>
> > If the goal is a complete list of accounts with no data, how about
> > exporting the list first, opening the empty data file and creating an
> > Account Summary Report on the empty file?  There would still be zero
> > amounts, but they could then be more easily filtered out.
>
> I've seen this suggestion twice.  Excuse me, but doesn't it strike anybody that this is a very clumsy workaround for something that should be a click on a menu choice?  You give a chart of accounts to every newcomer to the accounting department so they will quickly learn about the structure of the accounting system.  You give it to every person who has to allocate expenses when (s)he approves invoices for payment.  But you don't necessarily want any of these people to see the balances on the accounts, so the account report is not an alternative.

This is a little over the top. This is FREE software that is work of
people who DONATE their time to creating and maintaining this software.
If you really care, you will "scratch your itch", and contribute
patches, that implement the functionality you want.

Alternatively, you are not technically competent to do that, you could
write a spec, file it as an enhancement request, and then offer to pay
someone to implement it.  If enough other people want the capability,
perhaps those people could pool what they are willing to pay to make it
happen.  When the amount is large enough, a developer will change his
priorities to collect "the ransome."

This is how free software works.

All that said, this does not strike me as a very important feature, and
it probably strikes most others the same way.

:-)

Lincoln