Problems with GnuCash 2.4.7 - Snow Leopard and Lion

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Aug 27 22:32:48 EDT 2011

On Aug 27, 2011, at 12:06 PM, angrest wrote:

> When 2.4.7 was introduced, I had problems to upgrade from 2.4.6.
> A message window pops up:
> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n3773463/Ohne_Titel.jpg
> And a second window, which has the focus, says that the presets could not be
> found and offers either to open "Help", "Quit", "Skip" or "Create"
> (translated, I use german locale). If I "Skip", I can then check the
> "Details" in the first dialog:
>

> Googling for this error message, I find an old bug for gnucash 2.2.7 which
> is already closed (https://trac.macports.org/ticket/16755).
>
> When I go past this, I can open my data file, but while loading, gnu cash
> will crash.
>
> I downgraded to 2.4.6, but now, with Lion, the old version no longer works
> and I am forced to upgrade (currently installed 2.4.7 Beta2).
>
> Does anybody else see a similar problem? Any Ideas where to start a deeper
> analysis?

This has nothing to do with anything in 2.2.7. The problem is with dbus; I attempted to set up auto-launch with dbus in 2.4.6, and it didn't work reliably so I had to withdraw it in 2.4.7. The launch daemon left over from 2.4.6 is what's causing the problem.

The solution is to delete ~/Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus On Lion, you'll need to use the Go:Go To Folder menu selection in Finder to open the directory.

Regards,
John Ralls