debits, credits and reversals.

Colin Scott cscott at cix.compulink.co.uk
Sun Aug 28 02:18:00 EDT 2011

>From time to time I need to reverse a transaction, for a number of
possible reasons.   Gnucash insists that to make the reversing transaction
I must use a debit amount to replace the credit, and a credit amount to
replace the debit.  So far so good.  However, It seems to me that the
purpose of the transaction it would be clearer if I were able to reverse
the sign of the values rather than their colums - ie, enter a negative
credit and a negative debit instead of a debit and a credit.

Is there some deep philosophical (or book-keeping!) reason why this is so,
and that negative values are not permitted except as balances?  I have
certainly been able to use negatives in other accounting systems I have
used ...

Colin