Bank downloads

Robin Chattopadhyay robinraymn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 13:41:30 EST 2011

I've been working on setting up OFX Direct Connect downloads; turning on
the log file has been invaluable in diagnosing the issues.

The log file has a better description of the error message. You might have
to play around with the APPVER and APPID settings; I found that my bank was
rejecting me because the version that AqBanking was sending by default was
no longer supported by the bank.

I'm not sure whether to go off on a tangent from here or a new thread, but
in getting this set up, I've come across two questions related to
OFX/AqBanking setup:

(1) I have several accounts at my bank set-up for OFX download (2 checking,
2 savings, 2 credit cards). Do I have to initiate "Get Transactions" for
each account separately? Also, when I select "Since last download" as the
start date, is that date specific to that account or the OFX UserID?

Here's what happened:
a) I initiated "Get Transactions" for Checking A. I selected "Since Last
Download" as the start date and left the end date as the default.
b) Checking A transactions are downloaded and imported with no issues.
c) After initiating "Get Transactions" for Checking B (again selecting
"Since Last Download" as the start date), the UI says "No transactions
available", which -- like Alan's scenario -- is untrue.
d) When I looked at the log, there was an error message stating that I
cannot have the end date be earlier than the start date.
e) I initiate "Get Transactions" again for Checking B, but this time,
manually selecting a date for start date. This time the transactions are
successfully downloaded and imported into GC.

(2) Is it still true that the GC implementation of AqBanking does not
handle brokerage accounts correctly? I was able to set up the OFX User for
my brokerage accounts and retrieve an account list, but I cannot get any
transactions.

I was -- however -- able to download the OFX file from the bank's website
and import that successfully.