Problems with get quotes

Devin Theriot-Orr sunbird at riseup.net
Sun Dec 4 18:41:59 EST 2011

On 12/04/2011 01:54 PM, John Ralls wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2011, at 12:09 PM, Devin Theriot-Orr wrote:
>
>> I am having trouble with the get updates function for price quotes.
>> I am running Ubuntu Lucid 64 bit, and have updated to gnucash 2.4.7
>> built from rb5bdf19+.
>>
>> It used to work and I didn't make any changes that I am aware of, It
>> last pulled quotes on 10/14/2011.
>>
>> Per the FAQ, I tried the following:
>>
>> # gnc-fq-update
>> CPAN: Storable loaded ok (v2.20)
>> Going to read '/home/sunbird/.cpan/Metadata'
>>  Database was generated on Sun, 04 Dec 2011 18:27:18 GMT
>> LWP is up to date (6.03).
>> Date::Manip is up to date (6.25).
>> HTML::Parser is up to date (3.69).
>> HTML::TableExtract is up to date (2.11).
>> Crypt::SSLeay is up to date (0.58).
>> Finance::Quote is up to date (1.17).
>>
>> I've tried updating with the file open from the Price menu and I get
>> "Unable to receive price quotes." Similarly, if I run it with the
>> file closed from the command line, I get this:
>>
>> $ gnucash --debug --add-price-quotes=PATH/TO/FILENAME
>> gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at
>> configure time.
>>
>> Found Finance::Quote version 1.17
>> $
>>
>> But loading the file shows that the quotes have not updated. I
>> looked in /tmp/gnucash.trace but didn't see anything relevant
>> (although I may not be looking for the right things.)
>
> What results do you get when you do steps 2 and 3 of
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_fix_a_system_error_when_getting_stock_quotes.3F

Step 2 works fine:
$ gnc-fq-check
("1.17" "vwd" "yahoo_nz" "australia" "amfiindia" "usfedbonds"
*snip*

But Step 3 does not:

$ echo '(yahoo "CSCO")' | gnc-fq-helper
Use of uninitialized value within %info in string eq at
/usr/share/perl5/Finance/Quote/Yahoo/Base.pm line 222, <> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value $info{" \34p_change"} in substitution
(s///) at /usr/share/perl5/Finance/Quote/Yahoo/Base.pm line 238, <>
line 1.
Use of uninitialized value within %info in pattern match (m//) at
/usr/share/perl5/Finance/Quote/Yahoo/Base.pm line 243, <> line 1.
(#f)

Obviously, something is missing, but I can't figure out what since
gnc-fq-update run as root exits without errors.

> If those both return satisfactory results, run gnucash --debug --add-price-quotes again, zip up the tracefile, and attach it to your reply. Perhaps someone else can find what's failing.

Not sure if I should proceed with this step since the prior step fails.

Thanks,

Devin