multi currencies

Frank H. Ellenberger f.ellenberger at online.de
Tue Dec 6 12:33:47 EST 2011

Hello Kevin,

I am very sorry nobody answered before.

Am Dienstag, 8. November 2011 um 20:41:36 schrieb Kevin Liddle:
> 1.        I am base in Zimbabwe so my locale currency has been set at ZWL
> but we are actually now working in USD.  The problem that I can foresee is
> that my balance sheet does not total up the assets, etc. properly as it
> gives 0 balances on the ZWL.

Here you are missing the exchange rate, but at first you should read the
chapter in the user guide:
http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide/chapter_currency.html .

You might find other useful information at
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash#Documentation .

> a.       How do I go about changing my locale currency so that everything
> gets summarised nicely?

Adjust
Edit->Preferences->Accounts->Default Currency and
                   Reports->Default Report Currency

> 2.       I have some investments in ZAR.  I see it is possible to record
> this value in ZAR but is it possible to ensure that this gets rolled up
> into the overall balance sheet at the exchange rate at the time?

Then you must configure Finance::Quote to fetch them, see
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_quote

HTH
Frank