Scrub Lots and Capital Gains

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 10 00:24:51 EST 2011

I was just going over some stock sales in Gnucash, and I think I've found an error in how the scrub lots feature calculates gains.

As far as I can tell, the scrub lots feature fails to take into account sales fees and commissions when calculating gains or losses. So, for example, if I buy a stock at $950 with a $50 commission and then sell the stock for $1500 with a $50 commission, the scrub lots will generate a gain transaction for $500, rather than what I believe should be $450 ($1000 initial cost, $1500 final sale minus $50 commission yields $450). At least, when I compare the Gnucash gains with my broker's, that's what I see.

Do I have this right, or is there another explanation?

Cheers,
David