imported bank file messing my account balance up. how to get rid of?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Dec 15 15:00:49 EST 2011

Hi,

On Thu, December 15, 2011 12:14 pm, joulian wrote:

> Ok I have downloaded an OFX file for import purposes for the entire year
> get GNU cash going.

>From where did you get this OFX file?  From your Bank?

> Whats happening is I have all my categories completed. For example Fuel in
> the Expense:auto fuel etc..etc..etc..

So during your import you took the time to assign each transaction to the
appropriate income/expense account?

> now that I have all things put in their place. When I generate a Balance
> statement the bank file and its totals are doubling the amount for my
> current assets. FOR EXAMPLE: if current assets is 50k then the account
> category BANK FILE FOR 2011 is also 50k under current assets which makes
> it
> a total of 100k. Which is false.

There is no report "Balance Statement".  There is a Balance Sheet, or
Income Statement.  Which exact report are you using?  And how are you
configuring the report?

Your doubling could be due to an incorrect import, backwards accounts,
backwards transactions, or just not understanding what the report is
telling you.  We need more information to determine which.  For example, I
have no idea what you mean by "Current Assets is 50k then the account
category BANK FILE FOR 2011 is also 50k ... total of 100k"?

Maybe you used your "Current Assets" placeholder account instead of
Equity?  Or maybe you're summing up a placeholder and a child manually
when it's already being summed internally?

Maybe some screen shots of what you are seeing will help us?

> How do i get the bank statement account not to be included?

What is a "Bank Statement Account"?  Do you mean your regular Bank
Account?  How did you set up your Chart of Accounts on the Assets branch
of the account tree?

> I hope thats clear?

See above for clarifying questions

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745