Quickfill gripe - again!

Paul Abrahams abrahams at acm.org
Fri Dec 16 12:38:50 EST 2011

On Friday, December 16, 2011 09:53:13 AM John Layman wrote:
> I'm affected by the quirks of quick-fill as much as anyone, but haven't let
> that turn into a pet peeve.  You can, in effect, turn quick-fill off on a
> transaction by transaction basis simply by not tabbing out of the
> description field.  Moving to the account or amount field using the mouse
> doesn't strike me as any more onerous than having to toggle quick-fill using
> some key convention.  I would agree that it might be well to provide an
> option to turn it off altogether for users who simply can't cope.

Perhaps the neatest way to cancel quickfill on a per-transaction basis would be
to have a trailing space cancel it.  In other words, if you type space-tab
after entering the description, you then move to the next field with no
quickfill.  I can't think of any use for descriptions that actually have a
trailing space.