How to represent share club holding

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sat Dec 17 11:02:26 EST 2011

Hi,

On Sat, December 17, 2011 10:56 am, Lloyd wrote:
> I belong to a share club, and would like to represent my holding in that
> club
> within my personal accounts in gnucash. In essence, with a share club, you
> have a number of units in the club.  Each month I make a contribution, and
> each month the value of the unit, and so hence the value of my holding,
> is
> re-evaluated, depending upon what the markets have been doing, and what as
> club we have bought or sold.
>
> So, I need to represent my assets in the club in units, and somehow be
> able
> to place a value on a unit each month. Is this feasible?

Yes, your "club" is essentially a "Mutual Fund" and you should treat it as
such.  Each month you "buy more shares" of your mutual fund, and each
month the value of your fund shares fluctuates.  Just create a commodity
for your club and treat it just like you would any other mutual fund.

> Thanks
>
> Lloyd

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745