Quickfill gripe - again!

Paul Abrahams abrahams at acm.org
Sun Dec 18 12:31:02 EST 2011

On Saturday, December 17, 2011 07:44:34 AM Bob Plantz wrote:

> If I want a different value in the Transaction field from the last time
> I used the same value in the Description field, I need to use the mouse
> in the Transaction field anyway. This, as John Layman points out, does
> not trigger the Quickfill feature/bother.

If not for quickfill, you wouldn't need to use the mouse at all.   You can
enter both Description and Transfer for a new description without touching the
mouse, and with the extra-space convention you wouldn't need to use the mouse
for changing the transfer field either.

Some folks actiually seemed to think at one time that adding a space to the
description would cancel quickfill and posted to that effect on this list.
Would that it were so!   As I mentioned in an earlier post, that works -- but
just once.  Making it work forever would be a far more elegant solution than
anything else I've seen, including my earlier suggestions such as a leading
backspace.

An aside: in my experience, input conventions that require switching back and
forth between mouse and keyboard are very unpleasant to live with.   I can
happily work with the mouse alone or with the keyboard alone; it's the
combination that irritates me.