Problems with get quotes

Devin Theriot-Orr sunbird at riseup.net
Mon Dec 19 09:46:00 EST 2011

On 12/04/2011 05:27 PM, Devin Theriot-Orr wrote:
> On 12/04/2011 04:59 PM, John Ralls wrote:

>>> Step 2 works fine:
>>> $ gnc-fq-check
>>> ("1.17" "vwd" "yahoo_nz" "australia" "amfiindia" "usfedbonds"
>>> *snip*
>>>
>>> But Step 3 does not:
>>>
>>> $ echo '(yahoo "CSCO")' | gnc-fq-helper
>>> Use of uninitialized value within %info in string eq at
>>> /usr/share/perl5/Finance/Quote/Yahoo/Base.pm line 222, <> line 1.
>>> Use of uninitialized value $info{" \34p_change"} in substitution
>>> (s///) at /usr/share/perl5/Finance/Quote/Yahoo/Base.pm line 238, <>
>>> line 1.
>>> Use of uninitialized value within %info in pattern match (m//) at
>>> /usr/share/perl5/Finance/Quote/Yahoo/Base.pm line 243, <> line 1.
>>> (#f)
>>>
>>> Obviously, something is missing, but I can't figure out what since
>>> gnc-fq-update run as root exits without errors.

>>> Not sure if I should proceed with this step since the prior step fails.
>>>

>> Nope, if there's a problem in Finance::Quote, the rest of it won't work.
>>
>> I just did an update of FQ and I'm not having a problem, which implies there's a problem with your FQ installation. If there's an FQ package for your distro you might try removing the CPAN version and trying to install that.
>>
> Drat. I'm removed all extra repos, purged gnucash and
> libfinance-quotes-perl and reinstalled from the Ubuntu:Lucid repos.
> No dice. Same error. I'm not sure what to do.
>
> If anyone has any other ideas, let me know.

I fixed this problem, and indeed, it was not a gnucash or fq
problem. I run on a vpn, and for some reason my vpn was blocking the
queries. Works fine without the vpn. Just wanted to update the list
in case anyone else has this problem... if you do, check your
upstream network and disable any vpn.

Thanks,

Devin