Quickfill gripe - again!

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Mon Dec 19 12:44:54 EST 2011

On 18 December 2011 at 12:31, Paul Abrahams said:

> On Saturday, December 17, 2011 07:44:34 AM Bob Plantz wrote:
>
> > If I want a different value in the Transaction field from the last time
> > I used the same value in the Description field, I need to use the mouse
> > in the Transaction field anyway. This, as John Layman points out, does
> > not trigger the Quickfill feature/bother.
>
> If not for quickfill, you wouldn't need to use the mouse at all.   You can
> enter both Description and Transfer for a new description without touching
> the mouse, and with the extra-space convention you wouldn't need to use
> the mouse for changing the transfer field either.

You don't need to use the mouse. Tab/backtab does the job just fine, as
has been pointed out in the past.

> Some folks actiually seemed to think at one time that adding a space to
> the description would cancel quickfill and posted to that effect on this
> list.  Would that it were so!   As I mentioned in an earlier post, that
> works -- but just once.  Making it work forever would be a far more
> elegant solution than anything else I've seen, including my earlier
> suggestions such as a leading backspace.

I expect the reason they think that is that it's true. It does work,
assuming of course you're not daft enough to leave the extra space in
place - in that case, you will need to enter a second extra space (or
some other extra character) for the third variation, and so on.