See below .LCK file cannot be opened

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Feb 1 14:42:05 EST 2011

Mike Leone wrote:

>On 2/1/2011 8:06 AM, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
>

>>>If you want a filename or directory with spaces, just enclose the entire
>>>name with quotes ("This is my file").
>>>
>>>Ampersands (&) are a reserved system character, and so shouldn't be used.
>>>

>>The problem  is an "operating system" issue. Some of the stuff used by
>>gnucash assumes that "&" is a special character because it in in the
>>'nix operating systems where these components came from (but it is a
>>legal character in a Windows name).
>>

>The ampersand (&) is used to run multiple commands on one line in the
>Windows shell, just like it does in *nix. It's a system symbol, like
>pipe (|).
>
><http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds_shelloverview.mspx?mfr=true>
>
>Note
>
>• The ampersand (&), pipe (|), and parentheses ( ) are special
>characters that must be preceded by the escape character (^) or
>quotation marks when you pass them as arguments.

But that's not the problem here. I wasn't saying that the "&" had no
special usage in Microsoft. It is indeed reserved in certain contexts.
But it's not reserved in ALL contexts and is legal in a path name (a
file or directory can have an "&" in its name). But that causes problems
for gnucash (as I said, not gnucash itself, but something that it uses).
In my case that was the "user name" (since that gets used for the name
of the user's main data directory)

Michael

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.