See below .LCK file cannot be opened

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Feb 1 17:39:21 EST 2011

>But is not legal in ALL contexts, as you say. So safer to NOT ever use
>it in a file or directory name, else you could be (inadvertently) using
>it in a context it's not allowed.

We weren't using the term "context" the same way. "&" is always legal
inside a Windows file or directory name. Besides, you can scarcely ask
Windows users to follow name restrictions of 'nix. They wouldn't have a
clue what they were. Just as silly as for me to ask you to avoid
reserved words of the job control language for MVS/XA.

a) This is in effect an error (too broad edit check). But the gnucash
team doesn't control that component. For all I know the team that does
"own" that component might not have any interest whatsoever in
applications running under Windows.

b) The gnucash project SHOULD document this since a release for Windows.
Not hidden away when you have to say something like "Sorry, some
perfectly legal Windows file names may cause this program to have
problems".

Understand what I am saying? On the machine from which I am writing this
if I log in normally (normal user name) gnucash cannot save settings.
That's because my wife and I normally log into a shared user account
named "Mike & Penny". Yes I know, I can create a special log in with a
name not containing an "&" and use gnucash there or I could use the
sysadmin account which name doesn't contain an "&". But the primary user
account name would PREDATE the presence of the application gnucash on
the machine.

Michael

>Just as easy to use " and ", rather
>than " & ", and is always guaranteed to work, and avoid the problems the
>OP was having.

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.