See below .LCK file cannot be opened

Mike Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Tue Feb 1 17:55:31 EST 2011

On 2/1/2011 5:39 PM, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:

>> But is not legal in ALL contexts, as you say. So safer to NOT ever use
>> it in a file or directory name, else you could be (inadvertently) using
>> it in a context it's not allowed.
>>
> We weren't using the term "context" the same way. "&" is always legal
> inside a Windows file or directory name. Besides, you can scarcely ask
> Windows users to follow name restrictions of 'nix.

Sure I can. :-) And I do. When I see users trying to use those
characters, I advise against it. As I did here. Sometimes it doesn't
cause problems. Sometimes it does. If you never use it that way, then
you are guaranteed not to have that problem.

> They wouldn't have a
> clue what they were. Just as silly as for me to ask you to avoid
> reserved words of the job control language for MVS/XA.

Not a valid comparison. Unless those reserved words are also specific OS
level functions.

> b) The gnucash project SHOULD document this since a release for Windows.

As you point out, it's an OS-level problem. Should they point of all the
ramifications of all OS characteristics?

Regardless, the OP solved their problem. And probably won't use an
ampersand in a filename/directory name again. :-)

So we should probably let this drop.