Enabling MySQL on Mac

Mark HerrPoetry at HailMail.net
Tue Feb 1 19:43:08 EST 2011

I'm trying to enable Gnucash 2.4.0 to work with MySQL on my Macbook Pro
(OS 10.6.6). Here's what I've done so far:

1. Installed Gnucash from the .dmg download. It opens just fine.

2. The Gnucash OSX Readmestates: "The only libdbi module included is for
SQLite. If you need either the MySQL or Postgresql modules, you will
have to build them yourself and install them into
Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/lib/dbd."
     I had no idea what that meant, but after a little research I tried
installing Fink's libdbi-drivers-mysqlpackage. After that install, I
looked for a file named 'libdbdmysql.so' on my system, because I thought
that was the file that needed to end up in the
Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/lib/dbddirectory -- but I couldn't find
that file anywhere. So I...

3. Downloaded the libdbi-driverssource from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libdbi-drivers/files/and installed that.
For the configurestage, I typed ./configure --with-mysql
--with-mysql-dir; I specified no options for the makeor make
installstages. For some reason I can't recall, in order to get the
install to work, I had to create a symlink of /sw/lib/dbdin
/usr/local/lib/. Three files named 'libdbdmysql' are in that
dbddirectory: 'libdbdmysql.so','libdbdmysql.a' and'libdbdmysql.la'.

4. I created a symlink of libdbdmysql.soin
Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/lib/dbd. I started up Gnucash with my old
.xml file; clicked File: Save As...; and tried to select 'mysql'. But
the only two options are still 'xml' and 'sqlite'. Tried deleting the
soft symlink and created a hard symlink instead. No effect.

As you can probably tell, I don't really know what I'm doing (I used a
"how to build from source" tutorial on the web to install
libdbi-drivers). I can't found any instructions anywhere for how to do
what the Gnucash OSX Readme file tells me I have to do in order to use a
MySQL backend for Gnucash on the Mac. Can anyone help with this?

- Mark