See below .LCK file cannot be opened

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 15:54:38 EST 2011

--- On Wed, 2/2/11, Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> wrote:

> From: Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com>
> Subject: Re: See below .LCK file cannot be opened
> To: "David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "Elizabeth Dodd" <edodd at billiau.net>, gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Date: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 10:15 AM
>
> > This is a good idea.
> > Why don't you edit the wiki?
> > I would, but I am not a Windows user, and I am not
> clear on what characters/names are invalid to Gnucash under
> Windows.
> >
> > David
>> David, ever since a house fire five years ago I haven't had
> a 'nix machine in the house and all of my 'nix books went
> bye bye too.
>
> You seem to misunderstand the problem. It is not a Windows
> user who knows what characters are illegal in 'nix names but
> a 'nix user (the shared routine being used by gnucash
> assumes that it should be checking for characters illegal in
> a ('nix) name -- in other words, that this shared routine
> isn't going to be used by an application in another
> environment).

Mike, the original post read: "I am running Vista Home Premium, a single user and single PC."

The problem was that the original poster's filename was "James & Jenny.gnucash" When he changed the filename not to use the ampersand, Gnucash under Windows worked.

So, perhaps I did misunderstand, but I was under the impression that the problem was that under Windows, Gnucash couldn't read certain files with valid Windows filenames because some 'nix rules regarding valid filenames were violated.

I thought you were suggesting to add information in the wiki for Windows users to alert them to these naming idiosyncrasies.

Apparently, I was wrong about that.

David