See below .LCK file cannot be opened

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 13:43:17 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Mike or Penny Novack
<stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> wrote:
> David T. Wrote:
>> This is a good idea.
>> Why don't you edit the wiki?
>> I would, but I am not a Windows user, and I am not clear on what
>> characters/names are invalid to Gnucash under Windows.

> You seem to misunderstand the problem. It is not a Windows user who knows
> what characters are illegal in 'nix names but a 'nix user (the shared
> routine being used by gnucash assumes that it should be checking for
> characters illegal in a ('nix) name -- in other words, that this shared
> routine isn't going to be used by an application in another environment).
>
> To write this takes somebody familiar with the rules for what is illegal in
> a 'nix file or directory name.

I think the issue is even more complicated than that. Just about any
file name you can imagine might be "legal" but vanishingly uncommon in
POSIX filesystems so nobody ever thinks to accommodate them. The
situation gets complicated by cross-platform differences in how the
operating system handles the same files. Here's a dense article
describing some pitfalls:
 http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/fixing-unix-linux-filenames.html

The wikipedia has a simpler article with a list of "reserved"
characters that might be informative:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename