importing old GnuCash files

Matthew Weymar matthew.weymar+tech at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 22:37:39 EST 2011

First of all: Thank you very much, David. This is informative, helpful and
much appreciated.

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:48 PM, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's more likely that you had 2.0.5. That was the stable version out at the
> time; 2.1.x is an unstable version for development purposes, and you would
> have been advised against using this.
>
> If it was version 2.0.5, I see that there was an issue with scheduled
> transactions and upgrades; the instructions in the list back then were to
> open the file in 2.0.x and remove your scheduled transactions, and then open
> in 2.2.9. From there, I'd just try opening the file in 2.4.0.
>
> You can get 2.2.9 and 2.4.0 on sourceforge.net; older versions are
> apparently only available as tar.gz files at
> http://www.gnucash.org/pub/gnucash/sources/stable/, which would probably
> have to be built from scratch.
>
> If you didn't have any scheduled transactions (if you don't know what I'm
> talking about, then you didn't)

Unlikely I had scheduled transactions, but my memory, at least for this sort
of thing, is exceptionally poor.

> I would try opening the file with 2.2.9 and seeing what happens.

Downloaded 2.2.9 and installed (over 2.4.0), but on launch, I get: "The
procedure entry point gnc_build_book_path could not be located in the dll
libgnc-core-utils-0.dll."

If / when I get 2.2.9 running, can someone please confirm: The file I want
to open is ~/.gnucash/qif-accounts-map? And that's the only file I have to
grab from my previous install?...

Thanks again!
Matthew