First Time to Reconcile - opening balance is wrong

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 16:17:49 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Mark Phillips
<mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:
> I started with gnucash in January. I went through the setup wizard and
> entered the opening balance for my checking account. It shows correctly in
> the register window and equity account. But when I click on reconcile, after
> adding a month of transactions, the opening balance in the reconciliation
> window is $0.00. I have cleared all the transactions from my statement, but
> I can't reconcile the beast because the opening balance is wrong. How do I
> fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

The Reconcile dialog has Starting Balance and Ending Balance. Enter
the Ending balance shown on your bank statement, and then on the
subsequent dialog, check off the items that have cleared on the
statement.

It has been awhile since I reconciled a new account, but the Starting
Balance may simply reflect that you have never balanced it before.

(Don't forget to reply to the list or reply-all with any response.)