First Time to Reconcile - opening balance is wrong

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 4 16:19:29 EST 2011

On 4 February 2011 20:50, Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:
> I started with gnucash in January. I went through the setup wizard and
> entered the opening balance for my checking account. It shows correctly in
> the register window and equity account. But when I click on reconcile, after
> adding a month of transactions, the opening balance in the reconciliation
> window is $0.00. I have cleared all the transactions from my statement, but
> I can't reconcile the beast because the opening balance is wrong. How do I
> fix this?

It is some time since I did the first reconcile on a new account, but
if I remember correctly the opening balance itself should appear as
one of the transactions to be reconciled, so the opening balance
*should* be zero.  Then in the reconcile window ticking off the
opening balance and all the transactions from your statement should
give the correct end result.

Does the opening balance transaction not appear in the reconcile
window (it should appear as a deposit in the left hand window)?

If not what does the opening balance transaction show in the register itself?

Colin