How to Use Split Transactions to Pay Several Vendors (Not Just The Expense Accounts)

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Feb 4 16:38:45 EST 2011

On Friday 04 February 2011 21:00:25 Jane Stowe wrote:

> I should also say in case it was confusing earlier that I'm not using
> Gnucash to track my own personal finances, it's for tracking the
> playgroup's finances.....just in case anyone's reading it & takes it up the
> wrong way.

Hi Jane,
Ahh, that makes a difference to my previous answer, which you can largely
disregard!

The problem I think you are having is to combine several different vendors
bills into one "process payment" transaction, and you *can't* do that with
splits.

I think you will need to do this using an intermediate account, something like
Liabilities:OwedToJane.
Process payment to each vendor in turn, but assign the txn to L:OTJ not
Bank:Current.  then do one big txn from Bank:Current to zero L:OTJ.

Note that you might have to use Asset:LTJ (it will end up with an
increasing -ve) as I'm not sure that you can pay a  vendor from a Liability
account.

HTH,
Maf.