Scheduled Transactions for Payroll - How to Show Overall Total on Current Account?

Phil Frost indigo at bitglue.com
Fri Feb 4 17:02:13 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 08:51:51PM +0000, Jane Stowe wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've set up scheduled transactions for payroll (a separate one for each
> employee) as follows  (where EE is Employee & ER is Employer):
>
> [...]
>
> When I do the payroll through the bank, only the overall total for the
> employees salaries shows up on the statement, but currently the individual
> Employee Net Salaries show up on Gnucash with the transactions set as above.
> For reconciling, it would be easier if the overall total was shown in
> Gnucash too, rather than having to count up the net salaries to see if it
> matches the total on the bank statement.

I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what you are doing. It
looks like maybe the lines in your emails are being re-wrapped.

In any case, it sounds like you are crediting your bank account for an
employee's gross salary, but only their net pay is withdrawn from your
bank account, because you are witholding taxes.

If this is the case, it is not correct. You should credit the bank
account for the same amount as the check the employee receives. You
should debit your salary expense account for each employee's gross pay,
and the difference between net and gross pay (their deductions) is
recorded in your liability accounts, which presumably you will later pay
to some tax authority or payroll company.

Regarding tracking uncashed checks, the simplest way to do this is with
the "cleared" flag. It's the column of single letters in the register.
When checks clear, click it and the "n" (not cleared) changes to "c"
(cleared). The summary bar at the bottom of the register gives you a
couple different totals for only cleared items, etc.