Different transaction numbers for split

Aryeh Leib Taurog vim at aryehleib.com
Sat Feb 12 16:17:48 EST 2011

Hi all,

What do you use the 'Num' field in each ledger entry for?  It seems to
me that each transaction can only have one number, which limits the
use of such a field.

In my case I have found that when looking at transaction on my bank
account it's useful to populate this field with the number the bank
assigns each transaction.  On the other hand, when looking at
transactions on the income account for my wife's business, it's useful
to fill in the number of the receipt she issued.

The problem is now I have a payment she received by check, so the
transaction is split between the income account and the bank account.
  When I modify the 'num' field in the register for the bank account,
it changes in the income account as well.

I would think this 'num' field would be much more useful if I could
assign a different 'num' to each split.

Aryeh Leib