Different transaction numbers for split

jomali jomali3945 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 13:48:30 EST 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Aryeh Leib Taurog <vim at aryehleib.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> What do you use the 'Num' field in each ledger entry for?  It seems to me
> that each transaction can only have one number, which limits the use of such
> a field.

The Num field on a transaction is the check number when you write a check.
It auto-fills with the next check number in order in that account when you
hit the "+" key.

> In my case I have found that when looking at transaction on my bank account
> it's useful to populate this field with the number the bank assigns each
> transaction.  On the other hand, when looking at transactions on the income
> account for my wife's business, it's useful to fill in the number of the
> receipt she issued.

> The problem is now I have a payment she received by check, so the
> transaction is split between the income account and the bank account.  When
> I modify the 'num' field in the register for the bank account, it changes in
> the income account as well.
>
> I would think this 'num' field would be much more useful if I could assign
> a different 'num' to each split.

You already can. The Num field changes to an Action field when you are
entering a split. You can populate that field with one of the alternatives
from the drop-down list, or you can fill in any characters you want for each
split.