Different transaction numbers for split

Aryeh Leib Taurog vim at aryehleib.com
Mon Feb 14 04:58:15 EST 2011

jomali wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Aryeh Leib Taurog <vim at aryehleib.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> What do you use the 'Num' field in each ledger entry for?  It seems to me
>> that each transaction can only have one number, which limits the use of such
>> a field.
>>

> The Num field on a transaction is the check number when you write a check.
> It auto-fills with the next check number in order in that account when you
> hit the "+" key.
>
>> In my case I have found that when looking at transaction on my bank account
>> it's useful to populate this field with the number the bank assigns each
>> transaction.  On the other hand, when looking at transactions on the income
>> account for my wife's business, it's useful to fill in the number of the
>> receipt she issued.
>

>> The problem is now I have a payment she received by check, so the
>> transaction is split between the income account and the bank account.  When
>> I modify the 'num' field in the register for the bank account, it changes in
>> the income account as well.
>>
>> I would think this 'num' field would be much more useful if I could assign
>> a different 'num' to each split.
>>

> You already can. The Num field changes to an Action field when you are
> entering a split. You can populate that field with one of the alternatives
> from the drop-down list, or you can fill in any characters you want for each
> split.

Thanks for pointing that out.  That *almost* does the trick.  I see
that when I enter the receipt numbers there, it orders the
transactions correctly in the income account.  However, I would like
to see that number in the summary line presented in the basic ledger
view.  Also, this doesn't seem to be treated exactly like the "Num"
field.  The transaction which now has an 'action' number in the split
instead of a "Num" doesn't appear in the correct order in my bank
account register, where all the other transactions have the "Num"
field filled.  This is certainly an issue I can live with, but it sure
makes those fields much less useful.

I think what I'm missing is what purpose does the "Num" field play at
all?  Since every transaction necessarily has at least two splits,
wouldn't it make more sense to have only the "Action" field and no
"Num" field?