remove specific split line

jcard21 xxxxxxx jcard21+gnucash at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 18:55:40 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 18:07,  <bugreport19621012 at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Thank you for your replies. But neither of the solutions appears to work on
> my MacBook Pro.
>
> (1) I deleted all the data from the unwanted split line. I saved the
> transaction (by hitting enter repeatedly until the cursor had entered a
> different transaction and the transaction in question had no longer shown
> its split). Then I re-opened that transaction's splits by clicking the
> "split" button at the top of the GnuCash window. The blank split line was
> still there.
>
> I also closed down GnuCash and reopened it. When I went back to this
> transaction and clicked on the split, the blank split line was still
> there.
>
> (2) I also tried using the "delete" button and variations on that
> tactic. I placed the cursor on that line and hit "delete." I hit command
> delete, fn delete, control delete, and option delete. Nothing happened. I
> also right-clicked the line and as you see from the screen shot, there is no
> option for deleting the split line, only the entire transaction.
>
> In fact, I did try the option "delete transaction,"
> hoping it might merely delete the single blank split line. But nothing
> happened. It did not even delete the transaction.
>
> Any idea what's up?
>
> Jake

If I'm following you correctly, you are trying to delete the blank
split line that gnuCash puts there DELIBERATELY to allow you to add
another split line/amount.

When you close the splits, the blank split line is NOT saved.

When you open the splits, gnuCash displays the 2 or more existing
split lines, PLUS a blank split line to allow additional split lines
to be added to this transaction.

It's a feature, not a bug! (I couldn't resist! But it's true. It is
supposed to be there.)

PS: When I have 3 or more split lines, and I want to delete one, I tab
thru the split line's fields, hitting the delete keyboard key for each
field, until they are all "empty". Then I just press the up arrow and
the "empty" line is deleted.

PPS: There is always a blank split line at the bottom of the splits to
allow adding another split line/amount.

--
jcard21