GNU Cash installation issue

Leslie Radke rlradke5 at att.net
Thu Feb 24 21:05:29 EST 2011

Dear GNU Cash Mailing list,

I have been a long time Quicken user but recently thought I would give GNU Cash a try. I first installed it (GNU Cash 2.4.0) on my laptop with no problems, just to try it out. I was quite happy with it and installed it on our home desktop, the computer we use for our personal accounting. The installation went ok. I copied my data file to the desktop, and navigated to it from within the program. But after closing the program, it will never remember the location of the data file when I open it again. I uninstalled, and reinstalled the program twice to try to solve the problem, but no change.

Both computers (laptop and desktop) are running Windows 7. The only difference is that the desktop is running the 64-bit version of Windows 7.

As a work around, I just saved a shortcut to my data file. Opening it opens GNU Cash with my data file open. However, every time it opens it brings up the same first Tip of the Day. And I can't change any of the settings from Preferences such as defaulting to Double Line view.

Likewise if I open the program from the usual GNU Cash shortcut, it always opens the  "Welcome to GNU Cash" window. When I "cancel" I get a new window that says "Display Welcome Dialog Again?" I click "no" but it always comes back. It seems like none of the file locations and settings are remembered. On the other hand, if I close the program with an account open, it will open to the same account again the next time.

So what went wrong with the install process? Thanks for any help you can give.

Ron Radke