GNU Cash installation issue

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Feb 25 11:13:30 EST 2011

On vrijdag 25 februari 2011, Ron Radke wrote:
> Thanks, Geert, for quickly replying to my email. I'm at the office at the
> moment but will check into the question of the firewall on the home desktop
> this evening (or weekend). We have not installed a commercial firewall. I
> believe it is just running the firewall that comes as part of Windows 7. We
> did install the Windows Security Essentials package (anti-virus,
> anti-malware, etc.). I'm not sure if that carries a more robust firewall
> than the standard Windows 7 firewall.

Perhaps it adds stricter rules to the standard firewall.

> If this is/was a firewall issue, does that mean the firewall obstructed the
> installation process? Or does it mean that it is continuing to obstruct
> something in the day by day running of GNU Cash?
>
> Ron Radke

(Please keep all replies on the list. You can do so by selecting reply-all in
your mail client)

If it is a firewall issue, it would be obstructing something in the day by day
running of GnuCash. The installer doesn't do anything that could hit the
firewall. GnuCash on the other hand communicates with a small program called
gconfd that keeps several of the preferences you mentioned. This small program
sits next to GnuCash on the same computer, but the communication happens using
a network protocol. Rest assured that this communication never leaves your
computer, but because it uses a network protocol, some firewall still block
it.

Geert