Income statement for specific accounts

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Feb 25 05:24:13 EST 2011

My partner and I largely keep our finances separate, but we have a joint
bank account, out of which we pay our joint expenses (e.g. groceries,
bills, etc.).  I keep records of both my personal accounts and our joint
account in a single GNUcash file.

I would like to generate income/expense statements to better understand
my expenses.  However, herein lies a problem - clearly the expenses in the
joint account need to be divided by 2 since the joint account is shared
between us (and we pay into it in equal proportions).  So I would like to
generate two separate statements - one for incomes/expenses flowing
to/from my personal accounts and the other for incomes/expenses flowing
to/from the joint account.  Unfortunately, the income statement provided
by gnucash considers all income and expense transactions, no matter which
accounts they are transferred to.

I can largely do what I want using a cash flow report rather than the
income statement - this will let me specify the bank accounts to consider
and it will tell me which expense/income accounts the money has been
transferred to/from.

However, using a cash flow report in this way is problematic in cases
where a refund has been obtained.  i.e. where I have bought something
(money transferred from bank account to expense account) and later
received a refund (money transferred from expense account back to bank
account) the expense account shows up twice, once on the income side and
once on the expenses side.

So it there any way to generate the report I require?  Essentially I need
a cash flow report, but with each account appearing only once, even if
money has flowed in both directions.

Thanks.

--

  - Steve