GNU Cash installation issue

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Sat Feb 26 16:13:58 EST 2011

On zaterdag 26 februari 2011, Ron Radke wrote:
> Hi Geert,
>
> I have both computers open so I can compare them (the laptop for which
> GnuCash works fine and the Desktop for which it doesn't). The first
> difference that I notice is that the desktop does not have the .gconf
> folder. (I'm quite sure the same install program was used to install on
> both computers.)

.gconf is indeed the directory that should contain your settings. We should
figure out why that directory is missing from your installation.

> Otherwise, the permissions look the same. For .gconfd and .gnucash folders
> on both computers, System, Administrator, and User all have Full Control.

Ok.

> On both computers, the .gconfd has one file, saved_state. This file is
> dated with last date the program was used, but it appears to be empty (0
> KB and empty when opened with Notepad).

That's normal. It is the same on my system.

> I found about 50 trace files on the computer. Probably one for every time
> I've opened the program. Interesting because I don't remember seeing error
> messages. I'll attach all the ones that I think are different. The most
> common one was the "CRIT <gnc.import.aqbanking> one. Next most common was
> the simple one that only says "WARN <gnc.app-utils> Could not spawn perl".

Thanks, but at first sight none of these files hold any messages that seem
related to your problem. The could not spawn perl warning is unrelated.

Can you run some tests for us on the problematic system please ?

For starters:
* run a windows session without having started gnucash yet (so that it would
hang)
* start > run... > cmd.exe
* cd C:\Program Files\GnuCash\bin
* gconftool-2.exe --all-dirs /apps

Does this print /apps/gnucash ? If not do you get an error message ?

Geert