Cannot View Existing Vendors/Customers - Disappeared/Hidden?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 28 10:59:43 EST 2011

Hi,

Jane Stowe <jane.stowe.boyd at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a question regarding viewing vendors/customers via the drop-down menu
> Business/Customers/Find Customer.
> I have several vendors & customers set up & payments/invoices have been
> posted to them. I can see these vendors/customers entries via the accounts
> payable or accounts receivable on th main accounts page. However today I
> can't see any vendors/customers via the option Business/Customers/Find
> Customer (they were all there yesterday). I have used various search options
> like Company Name/Vendor ID etc but no joy. Also the Reports Aged Payable &
> Aged Receivable are showing up blank. I tried looking at the .log & .xac
> files. The last saved .xac file from yesterday is fine (i.e. I can find the
> customers/vendors under the Business/Customer/Find Customer option). So I
> then looked at the next saved .xac file (first one from today) & I can no
> longer see the vendors/customers under the Business/Customer/Find Customer
> option. I looked at the .log files from this morning but can only see a few
> scheduled transactions that ran. Is there some option somewhere that 'hides'
> the Vendors/Customers from view? & if so, how can I turn it back on? I
> presume there's something that's just been switched on/off in error but I
> just can't see it at the mo. I know I could use the .xac file from yesterday
> & just re-enter today's transactions, but even still I'm curious now as to
> how to get the customers/vendors showing up again. Any help greatly
> appreciated.

This sounds like your data file somehow got corrupted between
"yesterday" and "today".  It might behoove you to revert to the older
data file and re-enter any new transactions.  You can do this by copying
the backup .xac file to a new file and then using File -> Open to open
the new file.

I'm afraid I have no idea why this might have happened, or even have a
guess as to HOW it happened.  Maybe there was a disk error during the
save process?

Good Luck,