New user - Imbalance question

jomali jomali3945 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 16:23:54 EST 2011

I'm not an accountant, but to use Gnucash, I've had to try to wrap my head
around accounting concepts. First, I look at the Accounting Equation,
Assets - Liabilities = Equity
I see Assets as what I own and Liabilities as what I owe.
Therefore Equity is simply what I have left over after I satisfy my
liabilities.
When initializing Gnucash, we want to record our opening balances in our
various Asset and Liability accounts. To do so, we enter the opening balance
in those accounts and balance them with a corresponding equity account
(usually opening balances). That keeps the accounts in balance.
Unfortunately, you and others seem to start with the Equity account.
I would suggest that you determine which of your Asset accounts receives
your £1000, and balance that with the Equity: Open Balances account.