Retrieving Fund Prices.

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 2 16:20:01 EST 2011

On Dec 27, 2010, at 11:58 AM, Frank S Bond wrote:

> I have successfully managed to automatically retrieve stock prices using
> ticker identities, but cannot get any fund prices using the ISIN codes.  The
> prices are there on Yahoo Finance, but I can't see what I should do
> differently to retrieve then automatically.
>
> Currently using Gnucash 2.2.9 Perl 5.10, Window 7
>

> Frank S Bond,

This question should be posed to the Finance-quote maintainers.

There are a couple problems. Yahoo Europe (and Yahoo in general) keep changing the way their quote retrieval function works. So updates to F-Q are required more often than seems reasonable. Fund quote internals have changed several times in recent years when stock quote code didn't. F-Q upstream has been pretty sparse lately with updates in general.

Another problem is that F-Q upstream once told me they weren't going to work on getting fund quotes in one of the modules because the module was only intended for stock quotes. Then when I submitted a slightly modified module for funds, I got a raft of hassle over keeping the existing copyright info (after all, I did copy 90% of the code...) and that the not-really-new module couldn't mention the gnucash project. The mention of gnucash had to do with the original development of the original module, and I didn't think I should arbitrarily remove something that was still relevant to the history of the new module.

Perhaps now that I understand a bit more of how to write module tests, upstream might reconsider including the fund module if it is accompanied by suitable tests. (OTOH, a there are several existing modules that keep being re-released despite the fact that they fail their own tests.)

Dave
--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net