What's the best way to record this?

Ryan Flegel rflegel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 20:05:33 EST 2011

What's the best way to record this?

I buy something on behalf of a friend and I expect them to reimburse
me right away (within a week or two).

My one thought is to just record this as an expense (A:Current
Assets:Cash -> E:Misc) and then rebate it later (E:Misc -> A:Current
Assets:Cash). This seems like a bit of an abuse of the Expense
account, though.

Another thought was to create A:Current Assets:Loans:Other (I've
already got Loan accounts for friends that owe me money) and record it
there and then "pay off" the loan (A:Current Assets:Loans:Other ->
E:Current Assets:Cash).

I like the second idea better, but I'm curious what others think.

--
Thanks,
Ryan