Unrealized Gains - how to find details

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Jan 2 22:56:04 EST 2011

On Jan 2, 2011, at 7:33 PM, Jay Ridgley wrote:

> Folks,
>
> My last query had to do with this guys sibling (Unrealized Losses)...
>
> Having gone through and found where I had "borked" some Mutual Fund transactions and correcting them all (I think), then running another Balance Sheet I get about $3000.00 in unrealized gains. When I run a trial balance, it is out of balance by the same amount. My other set of books (don't tell Uncle) indicates that I have about $60,000 in gains for the year.
>
> How do I find the details for the Unrealized Gains amount?
>
> Still running Ubuntu 08.04 LTS and GnuCash 2.2.4

An unrealized gain *should* be the difference between the (extended values from) the last price in the Price Editor (which is where prices retrieved from Finance::Quote go) and the price in your buy transaction. I won't vouch for the report being correct, but that's what is should be.

Regards,
John Ralls